After watching Dr. Manu Platt’s 2017 BMES Diversity Award talk in June 2020, we created a Lab Bill of Rights.
In our lab, everyone has the following rights:
- The right to be included.
- The right to be treated with respect.
- The right to express our feelings and opinions.
- The right to ask questions.
- The right to be listened to and taken seriously.
- The right to make mistakes.
- The right to respectfully disagree with others.
- The right to good mental health.
- The right to ask for and/or need help.
Inspired by the Diversity and Lab Inclusion Lab Posters by Sammy Katta and the underlying pledge, in June 2020 Aileen Ouyang created the following poster, which reflects our lab values.
Dr. Bruns has additional lab culture goals of:
- Open door policy.
- Ask questions.
- Be prompt.
- Keep it clean.
- Take initiative.
- Make progress.
- Have fun!